The 64th Cannes Film Festival is sadly over, but the awards are just in. It’s been awhile since I’ve heard of Kirsten Dunst doing anything notable so I was certainly surprised to hear that she won the Best actress Award for her role in “Melancholia.” I’ve been a fan of Dunst since her “Little Women” days, but for awhile there she was hitting the bottle pretty hard, earning the nickname Kirsten Drunkst.
Overall, it was director Terrence Malick’s “The Tree of Life” that wowed the Cannes crew this year. His film stars Brad Pitt and was awarded the coveted Palme d’Or accolade award. Actors Jude Law, Uma Thurman, and Ryan Gosling were among celebrities who took part in the festivities. They are never ones to miss out on a good party, am I right?
The complete list of winners from the 64th annual Cannes Film Festival are as follows:
- Palme d’Or: ”The Tree of Life” (Terrence Malick, U.S.)
- Grand Prix (tie): ”Once Upon a Time in Anatolia” (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey) and ”The Kid With a Bike” (Jean-Luc and Pierre Dardenne, France)
- Director: Nicolas Winding Refn (”Drive,” U.S.)
- Jury Prize: ”Polisse” (Maiwenn, France)
- Actor: Jean Dujardin (”The Artist,” France)
- Actress: Kirsten Dunst (”Melancholia,” Denmark-Sweden-France-Germany)
- Screenplay: Joseph Cedar (”Footnote,” Israel)
- Camera d’Or: ”Las acacias” (Pablo Giorgelli, Argentina-Spain)
- Palme d’Or, short films: ”Cross” (Maryna Vroda)
Image via Mathieu Lebreton‘s flickr stream